Sunday, April 10, 2011

Call me Soft: Personal visit to Tsunami Central


I thought I was a tough old fart. Been in the military during the Vietnam War. Have been an independent businessman for much of my life. Am I getting soft? Or am I (we) so used to viewing the world through a video screen, through the lens of the "embedded" journalist's camera, that it doesn't really seem real, doesn't really impact us any more?


This weekend Timo Budow, Ken Nishikawa, Mike Rogers http://modernmarketingjapan.blogspot.com/,  Michio Hashimoto, and I drove a 2-ton truck + a carload of school supplies, children’s shoes/boots, and other necessities to Sunnet Nagomi, a distribution center and handicapped home in Ishinomaki http://bit.ly/eU0Vhj. Two of the crew (Ken and Mike) were also interviewing and filming a video which will be published by the end of this week. 

Timo was the organizer - this was already his fourth ! trip since 3-11.  For the rest of us it was our first visit. 
Our new friends at Sunnet Nagomi

It was a far more powerful experience than I could have imagined. Since early Sunday morning I’ve been trying start writing this piece but find the impressions so intense it has been more difficult than I thought possible. Walking around on the spot and seeing, smelling, touching is totally different than seeing the same images on television or in a magazine. One lasting impression is that there were so few people a ground zero. I couldn't help wondering if most were safe at refugee centers, or if they weren't with us anymore. 


This morning during our weekly staff meeting at the officeI showed the photos to my team. Nearly 48 hours after being there I thought I was able to have a bit of emotional distance. Funny though, the images struck me even harder. Still trying to sort those feelings out. 

I'd like to share some of what we saw with you:
On the way North through Fukushima


The lines for fuel weren't as bad as expected in the morning. But on the way home many stations were sold out.
Used to be a car. used to be a house.

Looking through the remains of someone's home.
We've all seen this on TV but it is somehow different "in person".

The bow of this boat is rammed through the second story concrete wall.

This was once in someone's kitchen.

Totally washed-out former Pachinko Parlor.

The Self Defense Forces were everywhere - even running a makeshift public bath.

This one haunts me. Where is the child who used to hug this Teddy bear at night?

These personal items get the imagination working.

Another haunting image. A child's string of a thousand paper cranes.

Boats were everywhere - except in the water.
This house is tipped over sideways.

The crew: Timo, Ken, Mike, Roger, Hashimoto-san.

 Over the next week or two I hope to write a few pieces recognizing specific business people who have stepped up to the plate during and after the crisis. Nominations (self or others) are welcome.


I know many of you are already contributing and volunteering. Doing a lot. Please continue to do everything you can. Thank you.


 http://www.google.com/intl/en/crisisresponse/japanquake2011.html  




2 comments:

  1. Wonderful, Roger.
    I really look forward to reading your take and your thanks to those special individuals who share their time and make the effort to spread the love.

    These fine individuals need to be recognized for their deeds and you are just the guy to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Roger,

    I totally understand your feelings. I too have made several runs up to deliver goods, cook hot meals at the shelters and help clean homes.

    This past weekend - it was Kesennuma, "the city that burned for 3 days". The devastation was incomprehensible, the resilience of the people unbelievable and the personal experience incredibly humbling.

    Brad

    ReplyDelete